Necklaces Talks



             


Thursday, March 20, 2008

Celebrate Pregnancy by Creating a Birth Necklace

Creating a birthing necklace is a beautiful way to honor yourself and Baby during pregnancy. There are so many ways and of course no 'right' or 'wrong' way of designing a piece of art to symbolize what is most important to you. I like to encourage mothers to create their own piece or to take part if they choose to have an artisan make the jewelry for them. Maybe there is a particular color you have been drawn to during your pregnancy or a color that represents this child to you which could be the color focus of the necklace. Maybe you have a pendant you would like to have as your focus. One of my birthing necklaces was created during our blessingway. Each friend was asked to bring two beads. One was to represent Baby and the other myself. As we gathered in a circle each friend took their beads and presented them to me as they were placed on the string. The night I birthed, the beads were hanging above me on the wall as a visual focus for the birth.

My last birthing necklace I created during our blessingway day. I chose a goddess pendant which was to represent myself and the divine feminine. To the sides of the pendant were two beads for the Baby and for each of my other five (yes 5:) children. Each had their own unique color and style. In between each were seven small rainbow beads which in numerology is Spirit. Each bead was deliberately placed and blessed as I strung them. I wore the necklace the last several weeks of pregnancy and it was placed above me the night I gave birth.

However you choose to design your birthing necklace or jewelry may it be an expression of the beauty of this journey into Motherhood.

Lisa R. Marshall is the facilitator of Path to Nature...honoring life through whole health, natural living, herbal healing, sacred celebrations & journeys. She is also a mother & doula. Lisa is a facilitator to those who want to make changes in their lives.

Please visit http://www.Pathtonature.org for further information or to contact the author

Labels: , , , , ,